MFL calls for Improvements to Workplace Safety Law
The Manitoba Federation of Labour (MFL) has made 15 recommendations to strengthen the Workplace Safety and Health Act as part of a provincial review.
in a submission to the provincial government, the MFL made recommendations:
- to beef up safety training;
- to require investigations into workplace deaths;
- to better protect workers from being punished for exercising their safety rights;
- to hold employers that flout safety rules accountable;
- to give workers the right to appeal more decisions that affect their safety;
- to make it easier for unions to defend workers' safety;
- to improve the way health & safety committees work;
- to stregthen the right to refuse unsafe work;
- to clarify workers' safety rights in the law;
- to improve public information and data about workplace safety; and
- to strengthen the role of the Chief Prevention Officer.
You can read the MFL's detailed recommendations HERE.
The MFL submission was prepared for a provincial review that is required by law every five years.
Want to know where to go?
Visit our Buy Union page!