Your Workplace Rights – Employment Standards
Although the Employment Standards Code sounds boring, it lays out the rules that protect us from having work take over our home lives. The Code:
- Gives you rights when a family member falls ill or when you need to attend an appointment at your child’s school.
- Establishes minimum standards for time off from work.
- Gives you the right to be paid extra for working overtime or on public holidays.
- Establishes the minimum wage.
- Provides you with basic rights if you are laid off or fired.
- Gives you the right to be paid beginning right from the time your employer requires you to be at work.
You can find out the details with the provincial government’s Quick Guide to the Employment Standards Code.
There are a number of fact sheets available from the Province on specific issues in the Employment Standards Code, such as overtime rights, family leave, bereavement leave, maternity leave, and more.
Want to know where to go?
Visit our Buy Union page!