April 22, 2014
THIS CORRECTS LOCATION OF FAIR ELECTION ACT RALLY FROM LEGISLATURE TO CITY HALL
The Manitoba Federation of Labour is supporting the Canadian Federation of Students Rally on April 29th at 6 pm in front of Winnipeg City Hall. It is a rally to oppose the Harper Conservative’s drive to make Canada a less democratic and advancing the Fair Elections Act through the House of Commons and into the Senate.
Harper’s new Unfair Elections Act would:
· make it harder for people to vote.
· disproportionately impact students and youth, Indigenous people, seniors, people on low-‐incomes, and other groups of people who the Conservatives know are unlikely to vote for them.
· fail to bring to justice the people behind the widespread election fraud in 2011.
· create a new “independent” Commissioner of Canada Elections, who would be accountable not toParliament but to the Justice Minister.
· actually make it harder to catch perpetrators of election fraud like Pierre Poutine.
· prevent Elections Canada from talking about democracy, including prohibiting: Elections Canada participation in the Student Vote program, a national initiative to increase youth voter turnout by allowing 500,000 students below voting age to vote in a parallel election; publicly discussing (or even researching) how to increase voter turnout.
· prevent Elections Canada from reporting publicly about voter complaints it receives, including about fraudulent calls.
· stack the electoral deck in Harper’s favour in a variety of additional ways, including changing the rules governing fundraising and election spending on robocalls companies.
We invite all to join CFS in a show of solidarity against the Harper Government’s attack on democracy!